Thursday, September 16, 2010

Stock Futures Trading Made Un-Ezy : J P Associates

When you start making mistakes, they come in a bundle. After making the mistake of getting overwhelmed by company aura and fundamentals in the case of Reliance (as discussed in my last post http://archana-archdeb.blogspot.com/2010/09/stock-futures-trading-made-un-ezy.html), I made the cardinal mistake of 'trading news' in this curious case of JP Associates. I seem to have developed a penchant for not practicing what I am preaching. In fact just 45 days back, I had written a post which did spell out things to be ensured to succeed in trading stock futures. And of course in that post I clearly warned everyone against trading any news - good or bad. Check out this link here : http://www.stockezy.com/opinions/6872/stock-futures-trading-made-ezy-ultra-tech-cement/

But when it came to observing my rules, I fell short of expectations. The news, which lured me into breaking my own rules, was that a deal had been brokered between agitating farmers and UP Govt for land compensation rate along Yamuna Expressway. Agitating farmers were demanding higher compensation rate for acquisition of their land by UP Govt. Finally the govt conceded to giving Rs 580 per sq m to agitating farmers. This was a huge plus for JP Group which is developing  Yamuna Expressway and connected infrastructure along this corridor. Now JP Group could progress with Project implementation in real earnest after lingering for nearly nine years.

The potential of this news was so huge that JP Associate Aug Futures surged from 117 to 125 in 3 trading sessions. On fateful day of 23rd Aug I succumbed to the potential of this news and recommended a buy at 121/122.5 to my subscribers at http://www.stockezy.com/ . From that day onwards JP Associates kept sliding down for eight trading sessions. On 31st Aug it made a low of 107.8. The reason for this slide was that a faction of farmers led by a new leader rejected the deal and hankered for still higher compensation rate. They even turned violent and burned earth moving equipment and damaged other assets of JP Group. So much for trading good news!!

Sitting 1600 km away we had to move into damage control mode. On 30th Aug  I advised my subscribers to buy one lot JP 120 Call of Sep series at 2.5/3.5. Again on 31st Aug  I advised them to buy another lot of JP 110 Call of Sep series at 4.05/4.15. Un-ezy trading details, as things happened in trading room on daily basis, are available in this link here : http://www.stockezy.com/opinions/7186/buy-jp-associate-sep-futures/

In last trading session JP Associates Sep Fut made a high of 127.7 . But for me and my subscribers it was one of the costliest lessons learned the hard way - "Never trade News".

4 comments:

  1. a pity ,
    have you not heard of wallstreet saying, buy on rumour, sell on news.
    I a main broker,past, a fan of warren buffet ,entered stock market in 1991, and duped left for good in 1994.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @pramod lohia. Just too bad 4 u. But I guess u missed reading the entire post with its links.

    This post is there to serve as reminder for all stock futures traders not to trade any news. But if u hav read the entire post with its links, u wud hav realized that inspite of this mistake I was able to guide my subscribers into profiting from this trade.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really appreciate your post and you explain each and every point very well.Thanks for sharing this information.And I’ll love to read your next post too.
    Share Tips

    ReplyDelete
  4. Visit DayGains for the Best Share Market Tips

    http://www.daygains.com/

    ReplyDelete